Lowtax Network

Back To Top

Your Lowtax Account

Guernsey: Country and Foreign Investment

Entry and Residence

Nationals of European Union member states have free right of movement in Guernsey for the purposes of work and establishment. Non EU nationals must apply to the States immigration department for permission to reside or work in Guernsey. Generally a work permit will be granted only if no suitably qualified local exists. Preference is given to UK and other European Union nationals. Long-term residency in Guernsey is carefully controlled; with certain exceptions. Consent for residency will be given only to a person owning a residence, and in turn the purchase of a residence is subject to consent, which is given in only a limited number of cases, usually involving a luxury dwelling or an individual who is clearly going to contribute significantly to the island through payment of local taxes.

On the other hand, consent is usually granted quite readily for commercial property transactions.



Back to Guernsey Index »