Lowtax Network

Back To Top

Your Lowtax Account

Estonia: Country and Foreign Investment

Entry and Residence

Estonia is part of the EU's Schengen Area, meaning that there is visa-free movement within Schengen of nationals of all those EU Member States belonging to the area. Moreover, citizens of EU Member States and of a number of non-EU countries do not require a visa for visits of up to 90 days within a six-month period from the day of arrival.

Foreigners must obtain a residence permit if they wish to remain in the country for more than 90 days within a three-month period from the day of arrival in Estonia.

A temporary residence permit may be issued to a foreigner:

  • who is married to a person with permanent residence in Estonia;
  • for settling down with a close relative permanently residing in Estonia;
  • who wishes to work or carry on business in Estonia, or to study at an Estonian educational institution;
  • whose permanent legal income ensures his or her subsistence in Estonia;
  • whose application for a residence permit is based on an international agreement.

A long-term residence permit may be issued to a foreigner who has stayed in Estonia permanently for at least five years, holds a valid temporary residence permit, has a registered residence, has health insurance and a permanent legal income for subsistence in Estonia, and has at least a basic knowledge of the Estonian language.

For tax purposes, residency applies to anyone whose permanent place of residence is in Estonia, or who spends more than 183 days in Estonia during a year.



Back to Estonia Index »