Belize: Offshore Legal and Tax Regimes
The International Business Company Act (1990) prohibits an IBC from:
- conducting business with persons resident in Belize
- owning an interest in property situated in Belize (except lease property for office purposes)
- carrying out banking business;
- carrying out insurance or reinsurance business;
- conducting the business of providing registered agents/offices for companies.
Otherwise a Belizean IBC may engage in any activity that is not unlawful in Belize.
A Belizean international bank can carry on the following activities within the country:
- establish, maintain, and operate a business office in Belize
- transact international banking business through its business office in Belize without restrictions
- transact international banking business with a local entity in Belize licensed under the Banks and Financial Institutions Act, 1995.