Cyprus Citizenship by Investment
Contributed by GoOffShoreNow
24 September, 2018
The Cyprus Government, as a part of its policies aiming to attract foreign investors in Cyprus, established new financial criteria based on which non-Cyprus investors may acquire the Cypriot citizenship. Starting from March 19, 2014, according to the Cyprus laws, the non-Europeans investing in the economy of Cyprus have an opportunity to obtain Cyprus (European) citizenship.
We are able to aid you with the process of applying for a Cypriot citizenship.
Advantages of the program:
- Cyprus passport is an EU passport.
- Travel visa-free in 157 countries in total
- Dual-citizenship is permitted. The acquisition of Cyprus citizenship is not reported to other countries
- The passport is issued also for the investor's spouse and all financially dependent children under the age of 28. All next generations of investor retain EU citizenship
- The investor's parents are entitled to apply for citizenship if they are owners of a Cyprus permanent residence of at least €500,000
- No requirement to reside in Cyprus
- Minimum investment required is €2,000,000 (here and below amounts are excluding VAT where VAT is applicable)
- The investment must be kept just for 3 years. After that the assets can be sold. To be more precise, the Law states that a property of minimum value of €500,000 must be kept as a private residence.
- No donation to the Cyprus government
- No history and language proficiency tests
What can you invest in?
- Residential properties
- Commercial properties
- Development projects
- Purchase or creation or participation in Cypriot businesses or companies
- Investment funds, financial assets of Cypriot businesses or organizations
- Government bonds (maximum €500,000; the balance €1,500,000 should be invested in other options like property)
- Combination of the above options
- The minimum investment amount is €2,000,000
- Keeping investments for a period of minimum 3 years
- Clear criminal record for applicant, spouse, adult children and parents
- The investor must own a private residence in Cyprus, purchased for at least €500,000. If investments are made into residential property, this requirement is not applicable
- The investor must be the holder of a residence permit in Cyprus to qualify for receiving the Cyprus Citizenship. For this purpose, he/she should apply for a residence permit, which will be issued simultaneously with the filing of the Citizenship application. The obtaining of residence permit is a formality due to EU regulation. There is still no requirement for the investor to live in Cyprus.
« Go Back to Articles