Monaco: Personal Taxation
Stamp Duty, Capital Transfer Tax and Registration Fees are payable on transactions evidenced by the official registration of documents in various public registries. It is mandatory to register inter vivos transfers of real estate located in the principality, the official documents of notaries and bailiffs, private agreements concerning leases, wills, agreements evidencing the sale of businesses and certain other legal and corporate documents and instruments.
The following rates of tax are payable:
- 7.5% on the registered value of a business sold;
- 4.5% to 7.5% of the registered value of real estate sold (which includes other associated fees);
- 3% of the value of a registered mortgage (which includes other associated fees);
- 2% of the value of a civil judgment registered;
- 5% on the sale of personal assets unless they are sold by auction in which case the tax is reduced to 2%;
- 1% on the registered value of a short term lease which value is determined according to set formulas;
- 6.5% on the registered value of a long term lease which value is determined according to set formulas.
- 0.65% on mortgage subscription fee