Mauritius: Labour Regulation
Employment legislation in Mauritius strikes a reasonable balance between the interests of employers and employees. Some of the main features are as follows:
- The basic working day is 8 hours, and overtime must be paid for more than 90 hours worked per fortnight;
- 20 days of paid leave and 15 days of paid sick leave are permitted;
- There is a '13th month' of bonus pay at the end of the year;
- The employer must pay for and provide transport to work if the distance is greater than 3 km (this is why Free Zone employers are given a tax break on the purchase of staff buses);
- Compensation for dismissal is linked to the length of employment; if dismissal is deemed 'unfair' then the worker receives six times the amount of statutory severance pay.